The Mountain Times

°F Thu, April 24, 2014

Central Vermont's Most Popular Weekly Newspaper

Police investigate death of a Randolph man run over by tanker

On Feb. 19, at approximately 12:30 p.m., the Randolph police responded to reports of a truck rollover and an injured man at the Cumberland Farms parking lot.

On arrival, Randolph police found four Randolph Fire Department first responders administering CPR to a man lying on the parking lot. The man, identified as Peter Maraget, 51, of Randolph, was transported by White River Valley Ambulance to Gifford Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Also on scene was a 2006 freight truck and fuel oil tanker, registered to Gillespie Fuel & Oil of Randolph and Northfield, and a Gillespie truck driver, Robert Sheridan, 56, of Randolph.

Statements provided by the driver and by a witness, plus review of parking lot surveillance videos, revealed that Peter Maraget was standing at the fuel pump island closest to the parked truck, as Robert Sheridan left the store and returned to his truck. Sheridan checked the passenger side of the truck and then walked to the driver's side, putting him out of view of the pumps and of Peter Maraget. Maraget then walked to the truck and lay down in front of the passenger-side rear wheels of the tanker, at about the same time as Sheridan climbed into his cab and buckled his seatbelt. The driver checked his mirrors and pulled forward, stopping in about 15 feet, as he felt the truck travel over something.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and the Orange County State's Attorney were contacted and responded; a post-mortem examination and toxicology were ordered. Cause of death is pending autopsy results; the state's attorney's office is reviewing the case.

The Department of Motor Vehicles also responded and conducted a complete inspection of the truck, finding no defects that might have contributed to the fatality.

No further information is available at this time; pending the autopsy, toxicology, and completion of the investigation.
Two troopers from the Royalton barracks assisted on scene.