Two road teams, with half-time deficits coached by
brothers, win the NFC and AFC championships to meet at the Super
Bowl, Feb. 3
The first Sunday in February, football fans worldwide stop to watch
the annual Super Bowl matchup. The event pits the winner of the
National Football Conference (NFC) against the American Football
Conference (AFC) in a championship game.
This year Super Bowl XLVII (the 47th game since the first Super
Bowl in 1967) the Baltimore Ravens (AFC) will meet the San
Francisco 49ers (NFC) Sunday Feb. 3, in New Orleans, at the
Mercedes-Benz Superdome. This will be the 10th Super Bowl played in
New Orleans and the first since Hurricane Katrina in 2005 (New
Orleans hosted in 2002.)
For the opportunity to play at the Super Bowl, the Ravens and
the 49ers, both road teams with half-time deficits, took care of
business in their respective conference championships.
Now brothers will face each other for ultimate NFL title, as
coaches of both teams. The San Francisco 49ers, led by Jim
Harbaugh, and the Baltimore Ravens, led by his brother John
Harbaugh, will be the first siblings to face off as head coaches in
the Super Bowl and, in fact, for any major U.S. professional sports
championship, according the CNN.
The last time these teams met, John, the elder by 15 months, and
his Ravens beat Jim and his 49ers on Thanksgiving 2011, in
The Super Bowl is the most gambled-on sporting event in the United
States, according to Vegas Insider. So here are some facts to
consider when making your picks:
* The NFC owns a 25-21 edge over the AFC in the first 46 Super Bowl
* The NFC has won four of the last five Super Bowls.
* Favorites have gone 33-13 straight up and 26-18-2 against the
spread in the Super Bowl game. (Vegas odds change constantly, but
at publication the 49ers were a 4 ½-point favorite.)
* The San Francisco 49ers are tied with the Dallas Cowboys for the
second most Super Bowl wins in the history of this game, both have
5. Only the Pittsburgh Steelers have more, at 6 wins.
* The 49ers are playing in their first Super Bowl since 1994.
* The Ravens are playing in their first Super Bowl since
* This is Baltimore's second Super Bowl appearance in franchise
history (they won against the Giants 34-7 in 2001.)
* Colin Kaepernick (49er quarterback) has gone from NFL backup to
Super Bowl starter in less than two months.
* The Ravens and 49ers didn't meet in the regular season this year,
but Baltimore held off San Francisco on Thanksgiving night in 2011.
Baltimore won, 16-6 as 3 ½-point favorites, while game finished
'under' the total of 40.
* Dome factor: The Ravens only played one game inside a dome this
season, and lost. The 49ers played five
games indoors and one of those victories came at the Superdome
over the Saints in Week 12.
What time is kickoff? 6:30 p.m. ET.
What TV channel will carry the Super Bowl? CBS
Who are the Super Bowl announcers? Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Who will sing the national anthem? Alicia Keys
Who will perform the halftime show? Beyonce