The Mountain Times

°F Thu, April 24, 2014

Central Vermont's Most Popular Weekly Newspaper

Guide to FEMA Assistance

Note: Joelle Jarvis will be at the Killington Town Office starting on Thursday from 1-4 pm to offer assistance to individuals and businesses with claim inquiries.
1.     You MUST register!  Everyone who might need any type of assistance at all must register.  Business owners you must register EACH BUSINESS individually.   1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or for hearing/speech impaired only TTY: 1-800-462-7585
2.     When registering or communicating with FEMA ensure you have the following information:
Social security number (s) for you and your family members
Current and pre-disaster addresses
Phone number where you can be reached
Type of insurance coverage you have
Total household income
Routing and account number for deposits to your bank account
3.     If you have homeowners insurance - you MUST make a claim even if you know it won't be covered.  Make sure you keep a copy of the claim keep the denial letter from the insurance agency.  You MUST submit those with your FEMA claim.  Car insurance is not subject to flood exclusions - if your car was damaged and you have insurance submit your claim right away.

4.     Document EVERYTHING!  Keep every receipt, document every volunteer hour, keep track of every repair you made, every expense you incurred.

5.     When making a claim, you are going to need various forms of documentation, you can start getting things together now in preparation for the future:
Proof of ownership of your home or proof of tenancy
Car registration and proof of insurance
Birth certificates for all household members for lost documents
Insurance documentation
Chronicling of all damage - including before and after pictures
6. Business owners document loss of goods, loss of revenue, work being done, repairs to property and/or infrastructure needed and completed etc.
7.     Business owners - file an application for an SBA loan for each business you own, you are not obligated to accept the loan, however, not applying may preclude you from receiving additional assistance.  or call 1-800-659-2955
FEMA should be setting up a DRC (Disaster Relief Center) soon, hopefully in Killington.  We have also requested that they house the workers and staff here in town to help infuse some money into the community.  We will let you know when there is more information on the DRC.  They will also be setting up a time for Red Cross consultation and case management, which will provide information on resources, assistance and programs through all types of organizations.  They will meet with individuals and families privately on designated days.  At some point you may receive an SBA loan application - you MUST apply for this loan to qualify for any additional help - even though you aren't a business.

Tagged: FEMA Assistance, Vermont