The Mountain Times

°F Thu, April 24, 2014

Central Vermont's Most Popular Weekly Newspaper

Pittsfield properties, destroyed by Irene, cleared to be green space

PITTSFIELD - Last week, three properties on Route 100 in downtown Pittsfield that were destroyed by Irene were demolished and cleared to be town green spaces. Harvey's Plumbing and Excavating, based out of Rochester Vt., began demolishing the houses Wednesday, Sept. 25.

Earlier this summer, in July, the town purchased four properties for $498,000. All were along Route 100; three next to each other in town, plus a fourth farther south on Route 100. The money was used to cover the purchase of the homes and the demolition work.  75 percent came from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) through the federal Hazard Mitigation Grant Program with the remaining 25 percent from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Under the terms of the buyout, the properties must remain green spaces (parks, sports fields or the like) with no structures built on the floodplain.

Photo by Jason Mikula
Harvey's excavator picks up pieces of a demolished home on Route 100 in Pittsfiled. The white house behind, owned by Jeremy Livesey and Heather Grev, would be next to go.